Expert home comfort tips
Become a well-informed homeowner with our home comfort tips
A neglected air conditioner loses roughly 5% of its efficiency each year that it operates without upkeep. Learn how you can properly care for your air conditioning unit.
Air Conditioning Maintenance Saves Money
Proper air conditioning maintenance can help your unit last decades. On the flip-side, a neglected air conditioner loses roughly 5% of its efficiency each year that it operates without upkeep. So that green machine you bought to stay cool could start to function like the most inefficient thing on the market, if you fail to perform regular air conditioning maintenance.
Filters and coils are both parts that require regular maintenance for your air conditioner to operate effectively and efficiently. Neglecting your unit leads to poor air conditioning performance and increased energy consumption. And regular maintenance is far less costly than repairs or a replacement.
By keeping your unit operating at peak performance, you will recover any money invested in upkeep by lower repair costs and savings on your electric bill.
Both the homeowner and a professional can accomplish different aspects of preventative air conditioning maintenance. Homeowners can:
- Regularly make sure the condensing unit located outside is not covered up or clogged with leaves or debris. The unit needs to breathe, to draw air into the system.
- Change the filters regularly.
- Do not use a hose and water to try to clean the interior of the unit. Cleaning the unit in this way can lead to serious risk of electrical shock and possible shorting of electrical components.
Our professional HVAC servicing includes:
- Balancing refrigerant levels.
- Making sure all electrical components and controls are working properly.
- Checking and cleaning the evaporator and condenser coils.
- Oiling motors (if applicable).
- Checking the thermostat for functionality.
- Checking filters.
One last word of advice in regular air conditioning maintenance is to ensure that your ducts are properly sealed. When cooled air leaks from supply ducts, or when hot air creeps into return ducts, this can lead to wasted energy, and an overworked air conditioner. Your ducts need to be airtight for the most efficient performance from your cooling unit. Products such as the Aeroseal duct sealing process are an effective and affordable way to seal the ductwork in your home.